Cross Country Update and plan for March inc. McRobert Cup Schools XC Race
Unfortunately, a number of factors have prevented the Cross Country getting going since the Christmas break, and as a result it has been very difficult to organise any sessions. The main issues have been;
- The continued lack of the school field to run on
- The MUGA being out of use
- The extremely poor weather
- The number of Children that can be accommodated (Adult to Child ratio is 1-10 for off school activities)
- Change in Teacher responsibilities
- Shortage of Parent helpers
Hopefully, next winter the field will be back in use and the MUGA will also be available, Invernessian winter weather is unlikely to get any more tropical however.
MARCH PLAN – PARENT HELPERS REQUIRED
I have a plan for the remainder of this term, however I need at least 2 parent helpers per week to assist at each session. Unfortunately, after many years, Mrs Murray cannot continue to assist but will continue to be the school contact. If you are able to assist please contact me on 07734960721 and I will organise a rota if numbers permit.
My intention is to use the track around MacDonald Park however in order to comply with school regulations, there must be a 1-10 Adult-Child ratio. With around 30 P4-7s likely to attend at least 3 adults (including myself) are required. I will organise the sessions and helpers will be required to assist in supervising and escorting the children (you may have to do a small amount of running too!)
P2/3s – McRobert Cup
Unfortunately, there is no capacity to provide P1-3 Cross Country sessions at this time. However, there is a p2/3 category for the MacRobert Cup. From past experience, unless undertaking regular running, the p2/3s find the race distance (800m) and cold weather hard to deal with. Particularly hard is the exposure to cold weather during the delay between their race finish and awaiting the p7s and prize giving. Therefore, there will be no p2/3 teams entered, however individual pupils, accompanied by their own parents, can race. Entries must still be submitted by the school by Wednesday 11th March. If any parents are confident that their p2/3 child can comfortably complete the distance and wishes for them to be entered please contact me on 07734960721.
P4/5s and P6/7s – SESSIONS AND McROBERT CUP SELECTION
The plan until Easter Break including the selection for the MacRobert Cup Cross Country Teams (cup is on Thursday 19th March) is as follows;
- Monday 9th March – P6/7 – MacDonald Park – Group running and McRobert Cup trial*
- Tuesday 10th March – P4/5 – MacDonald Park – Group running and McRobert Cup trial*
- *Note – If a child is unable to make their age group specific trial but wants to compete they are welcome to come to the alternative age group session.
- Monday 16th March – 4/5/6/7 – MacDonald Park – Group running
- Thursday 19th March – MacRobert Cup – P4-7s Bus from School @ 9.15 (4 parent helpers required) p2/3s – own parent transport and supervision required
- Monday 23rd March – 4/5/6/7 – MacDonald Park – Group running
- Monday 30th – No session due to Easter activities
IMPORTANT – All sessions are 3-4 pm. Children should get changed promptly after class and be at the school canteen for registration no later than 3.10pm. Suitable clothing and water bottle MUST be taken. Every effort will be made to complete sessions but if the weather is poor it may be postponed or abandoned at short notice.
The McRobert Cup is the annual Primary Schools Cross Country Cup. The age race distances are p2/3s – 800m, p4/5s 1200m and p6/7s – 1600m. The races are held at the Bught Park on Thursday 19th March. Race registration is at 10am with races starting at 1045 and finishing around 1245. More details will follow prior to the event.
I really enjoy taking the kids running and am happy to continue to alter my work to keep the Cross Country and Athletics going. Please contact me on the form below if you are able to help, you have any questions or have a p2/3 child you wish to enter for the McRobert Cup.